About USA Weather
USA Weather is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the timely and accurate dissemination of weather information to the public though our internet
web sites, and warning the public of potentially dangerous weather conditions. The organization was co-founded in late July of 2003 by Storm Chaser James
Covington, KB9ZXY, and Meteorologist Don Sell, WB9TYJ. It has been in continuous operation since that time. USA Weather is staffed by volunteers who love
weather and the science of meteorology, and enjoy forecasting.
Our primary goals are:
- To develop and maintain virtual forecast offices for all parts of the United States.
- To maintain a national forecast office covering the contiguous 48 US States, producing graphical and textual forecasts and outlooks in severe weather,
winter weather, climate, hydrology, tropical weather, and travel conditions.
- To create and administer severe weather awareness and safety programs, demonstrating and publicizing proper severe weather awareness and safety
- To create and administer training and educational programs in applied and physical meteorology through an internship program. This includes assisting
college students with a major or minor in atmospheric science gain experience with operational meteorology.
- To create a scholarship program for high school students who meet an overall GPA of or greater than 3.2, and wish to major in meteorology. Other
- To develop and administer a storm chase team which shall provide real-time information to our staff and official sources, and gain base support from our
staff. This includes promoting and instructing responsible storm chasing, safety, reporting, and photography techniques.